Boer Goat Breeders near me
Boer goat is a highly meat productive goat breed which originated from South Africa. They are of very big sized goat among the other popular meat goat breeds. They also produce milk highly, but mostly suitable for meat production. Boer goats are generally white colored with red or brown heads, Boer Goat Breeders near me.
There are also some completely brown or white colored Boer goats. They have a pair of long and pendulous ear. They are very fast growing goat breeds and for this reason they are very suitable and most of the farmers prefer them for commercial goat farming purpose.
Boer goats have a very high fertility rates compared to other goat breeds. An adult male Boer goat weights about 110-135 kg and an adult female Boer weights about 90-100 kg. Male Boer goats are used for breeding and meat production and the female are for producing kids. The meat of Boer goat is very tasty and nutritious.
Boer Goat Physical Characteristics
Boer goats have some special characteristics which have made them different from other goat breeds. Physical characteristics of the Boer goat are listed below.
- Boer goats commonly have distinctive brown heads and white bodies. Some goats can also be completely white or brown colored.
- As compared to other goat breeds, Boer does are reported to have superior mothering skills.
- Usually a mature Boer buck weights about 110 to 135 kg and a mature doe weights about 90 to 100 kg.
Feeding – Boer Goat Breeders near me
Boer goat generally consumes the same food as other domestic goat breeds do. They usually love to eat leaves of trees, corns, green grasses and some other supplementary feeds. Big sized show goats require huge amount of nutritious food, Boer Goat Breeders near me .
Farmer generally raise medium sized goat for commercial production. Because they require less food and easy to maintain. Be very careful in feed management for raising Boer goats. Good food always ensures good health. Always provide them sufficient amount of clean and fresh water, as they drinks lot of water daily.
Breeding – Boer Goat Breeders near me
Most of the farmers prefer purebred Boer goat for breeding purposes. Crossbreeding of Boer goat with other popular goat breeds is also produce high quality and productive kids.
The common and popular crosses of Boer goats are Boer with Spanish goats, Boer with Angora goats, Boer with Kiko goats, Boer with Nubian goats, Boer with Osmanabadi goats, Boer with Jamunapari goats and Boer with Sirohi goats. All of this crossbreeding produces new highly productive goat kids.
Boer Goats For Show – Boer Goat Breeders near me
Although Boer goats are raised commercially for their highly meat production. But they are also very popular and suitable for show purposes. Big sized Boer goats are raised for show. This type of goats need special care, feeding, housing, and other management, Boer Goat Breeders near me.
Tips For Raising Boer Goats – Boer Goat Breeders near me
To be successful in show, home and commercial farming, Boer goats require some special care and management. Maintain the tips mentioned below to take care of this goat.
- Care the newly born Boer kids carefully. Feed them their mother’s milk regularly. Keep the kids and their mother in a separate room or place for some days.
- Set up a daily schedule to take care of the new kids and their mother.
- Vaccinate the kids to prevent them from virus and diseases.
- Make the house of the goat which is free from worms and all types of insects.
- The house of Boer goats should be suitable and comfortable enough for them. Make the Boer goat house in high places. This will keep the house dry always.
- Always keep a water pot filled with clean and fresh water in front of the goat.
- Try to feed the goat enough fresh and green grasses. It will be better if you can manage a grazing place for your goats near your farm.
Review full breed profile of the Boer goat in the following table.
|Boer Goat | Breed Profile|
|Other Name||Africander, Afrikaner, South African common goat|
|Breed Purpose||Mainly kept for meat production|
|Weight||Buck||About 110 to 135 kg|
|Doe||About 90 to 100 kg|
|Climate Tolerance||All Climates|
|Coat Color||Mainly white with brown heads|
|Good for Stall Fed||Yes|
|Country/Place of Origin||South Africa|